WIN A $200 VOUCHER!
Win a $200 voucher to spend on Cocktail Kit!
Simply enter your email address below to be notified of our upcoming Kickstarter campaign and you'll be in the draw to WIN. Competition winner will be announced on our YouTube channel - subscribe now.
The Spiced Apple Punch brings together typical Christmas flavours and spice. Cognac brings the booze to the table whilst the whiskey adds a rich honeyed taste that works harmoniously with the spices. The Amontillado sherry, with it’s smooth and nutty characteristics, partners perfectly with the light, slightly sweet and nutty Rooibos tea.
At first this recipe might seem daunting with the number of steps but you can prepare the Spiced Apple Syrup ahead of time and store in the fridge until needed. You can also add a teaspoon of vodka which will increase the shelf life so that you can use it across multiple punches!
- 200mL D’USSE VSOP Cognac
- 200mL Dewar’s 12
- 200mL Hidalgo Napoleon Amontillado Sherry
- 600mL Rooibos Tea
- 400mL Spiced Apple Syrup*
- 200mL Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Star Anise
- ½ Teaspoon Whole Cloves
- ½ Teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- ½ Teaspoon Allspice
- ½ Fresh Vanilla Bean Pod
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Ginger (chopped)
- Zest of ½ Orange
- 6 Cups Fresh Pressed Apple Cider
- 2 Cups Honey
- Combine all ingredients in a large punch bowl and stir to combine
- Add a large block of ice to the bowl and spoon punch over the ice to chill and dilute the cocktail.
- Garnish with clove studded oranges and/or lemons and star anise
- For added aromatics, grate fresh nutmeg over each glass of punch.
- Add cinnamon, star anise, cloves, black peppercorns, and allspice to a small sauté pan
- and turn on low heat
- Press on the spices to gently crush the peppercorns and allspice
- Toast these spices for about 5 minutes or until fragrant
- In a small saucepan, bring the fresh pressed apple cider to a simmer. You will want the
- cider to reduce by half
- Once the cider has reduced, add the chopped ginger, the orange zest, the toasted spices, and the seeds from the vanilla bean pod, and cook on low for an additional 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sIeve to remove the pieces of
- ginger, orange, and spices
- Add the honey to this syrup base and stir to combine
- Label and store in the refrigerator until ready to use
- * Can stabilise by adding 1 Tablespoon Vodka
- 3 Cups Hot Water
- 3 Rooibos Tea Bag
- Add tea to hot water and allow to steep while you make your syrup
- You will want tea to taste strong, but not overly tannic, so do not allow to sit for too long
Original posted by @areindeer on Instagram