Kegs are made from used staves from American Oak wine barrels. They are perfectly suited for storing and ageing fortified wines and spirits.
Use the notes section at checkout to advise if you would prefer a port barrel or spirit barrel (charred on the inside) – if you do not leave notes, we will order a spirit barrel. Charred American Oak barrels are ideal for aging spirits and cocktails as they will impart toasty and caramelised notes to your spirit or cocktail.
- Available in 2 sizes: 2Lt and 5Lt
- Engraving available – please contact for details (additional extra)
- Note the coopers stamp will be applied to the face of the barrel if you do not opt for the custom facade and to the rear of the barrel with a custom facade
Please note that barrels are made to order. Allow 2-4 weeks minimum for production. Contact for ETA.
WHAT COCKTAILS DO WE RECOMMEND TO BARREL AGE?
- Negroni – gin, sweet vermouth and campari
- Old Fashioned – whiskey, sugar, bitters
- Boulevardier – essentially a bourbon-based Negroni
HOW TO BARREL AGE A COCKTAIL?
By following a few simple instructions your keg will give you many years of enjoyment.
- Fill this keg within two weeks of purchasing
- Fill your keg with boiling water for 24 hours to swell the oak
- Should any small leaks occur after the 24 hour period, repeat the process the next day
- Do not leave water in your keg for any extended period of time as the water could stagnate
- Empty the water through the bung hole and fill with spirit (or fortified wine)
- Ensure your keg is at least one third full at all times