WIN A $200 VOUCHER!
Win a $200 voucher to spend on Cocktail Kit!
Simply enter your email address below to be notified of our upcoming Kickstarter campaign and you'll be in the draw to WIN. Competition winner will be announced on our YouTube channel - subscribe now.
Ensure you choose a great rye whiskey as it’s centric to the classic cocktail, driven by it’s spicy profile. Whiskies such as Sazerac Rye, Rittenhouse Rye and WhistlePig Rye all work well in a Vieux Carré.
The Vieux Carré is a 1930s New Orleans cocktail of equal parts with a touch of the herbal liqueur, Benedictine. Originally named after the French Quarter, it directly translates to Old Square.
This batched version has no dilution added to the bottle so you will still need to stir it over ice prior to serving. Alternatively, you can add approximately 20% water and chill in the fridge for a ready to serve version.
- 225mL Rye Whiskey
- 225mL Cognac
- 225mL Sweet Vermouth
- 25mL Benedictine
- 10 dashes of Peychauds Bitters
- 10 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Add all the ingredients into a large measuring jug
- Decant into a 700mL bottle (ex spirit bottle)
- Measure 70mL of batched Vieux Carré over ice into a mixing glass
- Stir for 20-30 seconds until adequately diluted
- Strain over fresh ice into a double old fashioned glass
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry