Barrel aging adds toasted oak and vanilla notes to a cocktail whilst mellowing the alcohol. The ideal aging is 4-6 weeks depending on your barrel size – the smaller the barrel, the more surface area and faster the process takes place.
- 4.2L Rye or Bourbon Whiskey
- 105mL Angostura Bitters
- 500mL Maple Syrup (diluted)
- Add all the ingredients to a 5 litre barrel
- Age for approximately 4-6 weeks before bottling – taste test during this period regularly
- To serve, stir with ice before straining over fresh ice into your favouite old fashioned glass
- Garnish with a twist of orange